Job Opening – P/T Outreach & Testing Specialist
PART-TIME (@20 hours week minimum)
The National Black Leadership Commission on AIDS, Inc., (NBLCA) is a 501c3, not for profit organization with a mission to educate, mobilize, and empower Black leaders to meet the challenge of fighting HIV/AIDS and other health disparities in their local communities. Founded in 1987, and headquartered in New York City, NBLCA is the largest nonprofit organization of its kind in the United States.
For more information on the National Black Leadership Commission on AIDS, please visit www.nblca.org.
The Outreach/Testing Specialist will work closely with program staff to conduct targeted outreach (traditional/face‐to‐face in the community and internet‐based/virtual) to individuals, groups and communities most heavily impacted by HIV and Hepatitis C in New York City (5 boroughs). The Specialist will provide HIV and Hep C related Counseling, Testing and Linkage services. The Specialist will link individuals to HIV and Hep C treatment, health information, education, referrals, risk reduction interventions, condom distribution, and STD awareness, testing and treatment. Candidate must have minimum 2 years CURRENT testing experience and be willing to work flexible shifts, including some nights and weekends with a current and valid driver license.
- Engage individuals in their own neighborhoods or venues where they typically congregate to provide HIV and Hep C related health information, education, referrals and linkage to services.
- Conduct targeted outreach‐‐both traditional and internet‐‐to high‐risk Men who have Sex with Men.
- Distribute condoms to target communities at highest risk of HIV and Hep C.
- Assist with recruitment for other prevention interventions and services, including those provided by NBLCA.
- Adhere to strict procedures of confidentiality, release of information and data security.
- Maintain accurate and complete participant records, tracking contact, counseling, testing, partner notification, referrals, and outreach performance as defined by evidence‐based models, local/state/federal entities and NBLCA.
- Communicate effectively with participants for appointments and follow‐up on PrEP referrals.
- Maintain accurate and current process, procedural, and program, and inventory logs of specific outreach and testing activities, health materials, condoms/lube, Temperature log (Control storage Area); Test Result, and controls.
- Maintain and reconcile accurate forms: Outreach Logs; Reactive Test Result Form; testing forms; Order Form/Testing Supplies.
- Provide health education and support in conjunction with other NBLCA teams and community members.
- Certification in HIV 4th Generation, Hepatitis C Test, Partner Notification, Prevention Counseling, Testing and Referral. Rapid Testing Training.
- Knowledge of PEP/PrEP, HIV/AIDS and Hep C prevention, outreach and health promotion. Experience working with PLWHA.
- Bilingual/bi-cultural skills
- Knowledge of specialized services for people with HIV/AIDS; substance abuse; domestic violence
- Computer skills using Microsoft software applications (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, social media apps).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Organizational abilities.
- Ability to work hands‐on with limited resources, independently or in a team setting.
The Specialist will be:
- Committed and enthusiastic about NBLCA’s mission and programs with knowledge of LGBTQ and MSM communities and issues.
- Equipped to work with multicultural and diverse populations
- Straightforward and self‐assured; one who shares information readily, listens as well as gives advice and respects the abilities of others; diplomatic and empathic
- Creative and adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing and following through.
- A team player; able to work cohesively with others and perform related tasks effectively.
- Bending, lifting, grasping, fine hand/eye coordination, pushing/pulling, and/or prolonged sitting/standing
To apply for the position, please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
PLEASE ABSOLUTELY NO PHONE CALLS.